Dating an old AC30

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

Dating an old AC30

Postby the cde » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:04 pm

Hey,

A member recommended this forum to me on voxtalks. I`d really appreciate it if you could help me.
A week ago I bought an old AC 30 on ebay. It looked old and was described as working, so I bought it for the "cheap" price of 800 Euros.
It works relatively well, makes some strange noises, I already ordered new EL-84s which I´m hoping will solve the problem.

The amps looks pretty old and used and I wasn`t succesful by dating it about the serial numer.
Enough with the chitchat, here are the facts:

Plate:

VOX AMPLIFIER
Model No. AC30
Serial No. 05659

6 Inputs, 2VIB/TREM - 2NORMAL - 2BRILLIANT, then VIBRATO, VOLUME and TONE section.

It is equipped with Celestion G12M Speakers , which are obviously new. Also the speaker cable that leads away from the circuit has been modified, and a standby switch has been build in, but isn`t original.
I can post some pictures if it helps.

I would be really thankful if anyone could tell me something about this amp.
I`m hoping I´ll get rid of the noises, the tone of the amp blew me away.

Cheers
the cde

Re: Dating an old AC30

Postby bassbob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:15 pm

Welcome to the forum. No one knows these things like Don, but there are several Vox guys hanging around, I'm sure someone can hook you up. :)
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:24 pm

You should post pics, it will definitely help.
Weird noises can be anything from bad caps to bad tubes. That amp is absolutely fixable although fixing it yourself can be very dangerous or even deadly if you don't know what you are doing.
Welcome to the forum.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby the cde » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks bassbob for recommending the forum and thanks for the answers.
Here`s a link to ebay where I bought it from. You may have to scroll down a bit to see the amp and the pictures.

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0357811635

It is obvious that the guy digitally "scratched out" the serial number on the picture of the plate. I bought it anyway. It just cant be wrong to buy an old handwired AC30 for 800 Euros, which is about 1100 Dollars. I mean, the cheapest modern model made in China costs abot 1000 Euros and IMO can`t be as good as the old one. The sound of the amp has not yet proven me wrong. I´m really curious about what you guys can tell me.
To Epidrake:
I know about the danger when messing around with old tube amps, I`ve a friend who`s an electrician and vintage gear freak who can help me out with that. But thanks for your concern.

Hope the ebay link works for you as well, otherwise I´ll take some pictures myself.
the cde

Postby Epidrake » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 pm

An old completely hand wired AC30. Come on guys somebody has to know more about this baby.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:17 pm

Well at VOXTALKS no one seems to. :shock: Oh, I forgot, there's only about 6 of us that post there. :lol:

The CDE, I sent you a pm. Look at the top of the page. Patience grasshopper. :)
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Invoxicated » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:30 pm

Looks like a post 67 Vox Product. It is top boosted by the looks do to the 8 control knobs. Man for 800 pds./$1100 what a deal. I'd get a North Coast repop cab and slip the chassis in. The cab looks like it survived a couple IEDs. You'd still be a thousand pds. ahead. Good score. :)
Invoxicated
250 Posts

Postby Paladin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:03 am

Actually it looks like an earlier cab (single row of top vents, low number) with a later post JMI chassis. As stated, Don would probably be better at dating it than any of us and he does have a real knowledgeable person to fall back on...Jim Elyea. ;)

Here is my '67 post Jennings 'Vox Product' AC30:

(7400 S/N range)
Propaganda is a soft weapon; hold it in your hands too long, and it will move about like a snake, and strike the other way.
Paladin
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:19 am

S/N# 05659 would most likely be around `61 or early`62. AC-30's started with s/n# 4000. I had a black panel chassis I sold to Jim that is number 4290 and was made in 1960. Photos would help of the control panel and chassis. There are date codes on the transformers and signal path caps. If you can get some shots of those I can narrow it down. Too bad they replaced the speakers.. the date codes on those are pretty much going to tell you within a month when the amp was made.
Thanks!!
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby Paladin » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 am

Don, check out the grey panel. Looks to be a Vox Product era chassis in an early cab. If you click on the auction link, you can see some pics:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=200357811635
Propaganda is a soft weapon; hold it in your hands too long, and it will move about like a snake, and strike the other way.
Paladin
250 Posts

Postby Invoxicated » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:23 am

Pretty sure it says Vox Product. That's what it looked like to me. Plus the seller states Vox Product in the description.
Plus JMI amps say Jennings Musical Industries LTD. on the serial plate. This one just says Vox Amplifier which would indicate post 67.
Invoxicated
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 pm

You guys are amazing.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:21 pm

Sure went for alot considering the beat up condition.. 810. Euro's is $1,146. It's an early Vox Product too, but has G12M-25 watt greenbacks. For that much I'd expect alnicos considering the cab needs to be recovered/grilled.
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:01 pm

I guess that's a good price for Europe?
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby the cde » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks very much for your effort so far.
Am I getting this right, it is an post 67 amp ( It says "a vox product" on the down right of the control panel) in a 61 or 62 cab?
I can`t find a date on the transformer.
I just noticed something:
Next to the electrical circuit on the left the serial number 5659 is printed on the metal. But on the other hand, it looks VERY similar to paldins post 67 amp. Could it be that the amp itself is from 62, too?
That would be a totally awesome thing.
The original speakers would have been blue bulldogs, right?

I don`t think I´m going to recover the cab, I somehow like the vintage and used look. Imo it`s not necessarily
a bad thing that you can see how old the amp is and how much (musical) history it has experienced.

Thanks again
the cde

Postby Epidrake » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:08 pm

Amps that have been used extensively are usually better sounding than amps that were put away 40 years ago and never played. That one probably sounded great. That's why it was played so much. Good luck fixing it up.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Invoxicated » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:54 pm

Could it be that the amp itself is from 62, too?

Not likely because integrated Top Boost models like the one you have didn't show up till 64 I believe. All 61-63 AC30s had 6 controls on the top. The 61-63 Top Boosted models had 2 extra controls, bass and treble, on the back panel. The Vox Show Room has all the info on these amps so that would be a good place to verify what I mentioned just to be sure. ;)
Invoxicated
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:53 pm

There was a run of copper panel Top Boost AC-30's done (I believe) by Westrex that numbers about a 1,000 units in `63. Top Boost was not all inclusive until late `65. My AC-30 made in August of `64 (copper panel, grey charcoal coloured Rexiene) is a Bass model and does not have the interanl Top Boost. I built one and added it on the back.
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby audioshark » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:26 pm

hello! I dont want to hijack this thread, just a quick question regarding the date of an Vox AC 30 topp.

I need help dating this amp:
Vox AC 30 topp
brown cloth
Silver Vox emblem
Black Cover
Serialnumber 2698T
Comes with a 2x12" brown cloth cabinet with goldish logo.

I just need rough numbers and I dont have access to it so I cant check out further details at the moment. I just want to know if its an early/late 60s or early/late 70s amp more or less. Does the T in the serial stand for "top Boost" ?Well any help is appreciated, as well as the price range :)

Thank you very much!
PS email me if you want to see a picture of the front, its all I have. Im not sure how to post a picture in this forum.
audioshark

Return to Toneman