Another Broken String

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

Another Broken String

Postby Winston » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:36 pm

Don, the D sting on my J-160e broke again. I'm beginning to think that you are correct and that it's the bridge. I took the bridge off and noticed that the strings have worn little grooves in the bridge. I know that the nut is supposed to be slotted, but shouldn't the top of the bridge be smooth?
I'm planning on replacing the bridge. What do you recommend? I've been looking a the Tusq site, but don't know which model to get. I sent them the measurements and they probably get back to me in a few days.

In the meantime, can I take some fine sandpaper and smooth out the top of the bridge? I realize that it will lower the action bit, but I don't think that it more than maybe 1/100 of an inch.

What say you?
Winston
250 Posts

Re: Another Broken String

Postby Don Butler » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:02 pm

Jim; sounds like you need to smooth out the backside of the bridge. Strings will eventually wear a groove into a bridge saddle, very common. sounds like you have a sharp place somewhere. I wouldn't use anything but bone for the saddle. I won't have any replacement strings in .011-.048 sets until the end of the last week of August at earliest. I have a couple boxes of the .011-.048 round cores on order. Pyramid is on their official Holiday until the end of August(like the rest of Europe). European's have the right idea when it comes to Holidays. They get around six weeks a year v. us stressed out Americans who maybe get a week or two if we're lucky.
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby Winston » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:01 pm

By the way. After I broke my A string, Don Butler sent me a new A string and a complimentary full set of strings. Then he sent me a new D string. I finally figured out that it was the bridge that was at fault and repaired it myself. Don gave me some advice on repairing it. Isanded down the bridge going up to 1200 grit paper and haven't broken a string since.

I know that a lot of people, especially at that other place, complain about Pyramid strings. I've never really had a problem with them until these strings broke and it turned out that it was the fault of my guitar, not the strings. The thing that I find about Pyramids is that they sound better than anything I've ever used. They also last forever. I usually change them about once a year so they actually cost me less than inexpensive string. Thirdly, the service that I get from Mr Butler is beyond anything that I could ever expect.
Winston
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:58 pm

Don is the MAN!!! Good job to both of you.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:41 pm

Thanks guys!! Always means alot to me!!
Don Butler
100 Posts

Return to Toneman