Replacement Tubes for AC15TBX

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

Replacement Tubes for AC15TBX

Postby Bradmeister » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:57 pm

Hi, Don,

I've been a member of Voxtalks for quite a while and am familiar with your status as a Vox expert. I was wondering: What would you consider to be good replacement tubes for the AC15TBX? I'm certainly satisfied with the stock sound, but also wondering what else you might recommend that could change the sound in positive ways. If you recommend a change that results in the sound/tone, give me your best description on how it will change.

Thanks,

Brad
Bradmeister

Re: Replacement Tubes for AC15TBX

Postby Don Butler » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Brad; Hi! Unless you're going to buy NOS tubes, the best new tubes on the market are the J/J's. For NOS I'd go Tungsram or Polem EL-84's and put a GZ-34 rectifier tube in there for more punch, headroom and output. Preamp I would use either Brimar, Tungsram or Mullards.
A good set of NOS preamp tubes should last you at least 10-15 years, same with a good Mullard GZ-34. EL-84's will get you 3-5 years as they work really hard. The stock components aren't really great sounding. I use Mercury Magnetics output trany and choke, Sozo Vintage caps and carbon comp resistors. what you get from all of this is better overall tone, harmonics and note detail. your amp will basically sound like a single channel, JMI era AC-30TB when it's done.
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby Wayne Alexander » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:27 am

Brad, I can confirm that the mods Don suggests (MM OT, Sozo caps, Carbon Comp resistors, etc) are very good for the complexity and depth of the tone of modern AC15s and AC30s. He's done those mods to several modern Vox amps for me and everyone who hears them is impressed.
Wayne Alexander

Postby Epidrake » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:07 am

Don is indeed THE MAN. Hope you guys stick around and post here. Welcome.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Bradmeister » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Hi, Don,

Thanks for answering my post. I've heard great things about the mods you've done to other modern Vox amps (reading numerous VoxTalks posts). What would it cost to "Butlerize" my AC15TBX with those suggestions you have made above? Are these things something a local amp tech could handle, or should I leave it to the expert (you)?

Thanks,

Brad
Bradmeister

Postby Epidrake » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Try PM'ing him. From what I hear, no one does it as god as Don.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:23 pm

I shipped my amp to him from St.Louis. I've never been happier with it. He was prompt, professional and very reasonably priced.

Here is a link to Don's website.

http://www.tone-man.com/
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:53 pm

Thanks Bob!! Always a real pleasure to help ( fix/mod) folks out with their gear. Gear is very personal to all of us!!
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby bassbob » Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Yes it is and it's real comforting to know you can have it serviced by a real expert at a very reasonable price and not have to worry about it, if you know what I mean.

When I should be practicing on my bass I find myself in my music room wailing away on my Brown with my TL60. :lol: :lol:
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:50 pm

bassbob wrote:Yes it is and it's real comforting to know you can have it serviced by a real expert at a very reasonable price and not have to worry about it, if you know what I mean.

Thanks!!

When I should be practicing on my bass I find myself in my music room wailing away on my Brown with my TL60. :lol: :lol:

I know exactly what you mean!! :D :D
Don Butler
100 Posts

Return to Toneman