My amp is a bad influence on me.

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

My amp is a bad influence on me.

Postby bassbob » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:49 pm

So I go into my music room to get some of my shit together for practice tonight, (new cables and stuff) and work out some fill passages for a song me and Jason are writing on my acoustic bass and out of the corner of my eye I see my little Fender Brown sitting there all lonely like. So I decided I'd test my new cables ;) and make sure my TL60 doesn't need a neck adjustment.
An hour and a half later I find myself still wailing away at full volume and my woman is back from the grocery store and yelling at me. :lol:

Needless to say I never picked up my bass.

Man that fucking amp just kicks ass.

Thanks Don. :D
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Re: My amp is a bad influence on me.

Postby Epidrake » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:49 pm

Doesn't it suck when the women folk make you feel guilty for playing? :P
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:52 pm

:lol: :lol:

To be fair, I had both the amp and the guitar as loud as they would go with the door wide open. Feedback, beautiful feedback and chimey, dirty single coil tone. Damn, I think I'm going back in there now. God help me. :lol:
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby amx05462 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:24 pm

most women just dont understand. volume is a guy thing ;)
amx05462
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:22 am

What I need is piles and piles of some sort of cheap, sound-proofing material. ;)
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:41 am

As if it weren't bad enough already, Blackhof sent me a bunch of cool as hell old tubes to start playing around with (Mullards, Telefunkens, Siemens, Amperex bugle boys, Mazda silver etc..) It'll be hard to pry me out of the music room for awhile. :lol:

I got a neighbor who I sometimes record some stuff for. He's a guitar player, so I hook him up with the bass sometimes. Anyway, he's recording a version of Hendrix' Stone Free and he is having a hard time making his SS Fender M80 sound tube-like. ( I know, I'm shocked) He also wants to record the guitar tracks in stereo and he came over yesterday and asked to borrow my amp. I told him he'd have better luck asking me to borrow my 4001. I was dead serious. 8-)
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:51 pm

I was just rolling some tubes around in there and I really like the sound with the Amperex bugle boys in 1&2 and the Mullard in 3. Nice chimey high end with a nice low end. It really compliments the V30 (which is very mid-rangey).

Thanks again Blackhof and Merry Christmas my friend. ;)
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Blackhof » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:01 pm

Merry Christmas to you too my friend. I think one of those Amprex tubes is an Orange Globe logo. The globe is worn off but it has orange ink. Of all the 12AX7's I've rolled (HiFi app not guitar amp) my favorite was an Amprex orange globe. I've always auditioned my tubes by listening to "Sinatra the Capitol Years". Great recordings. There is a song called "One for my Baby" with just a piano and Frank. With the orange globe the tape hiss starts the recording and can be heard throughout the song. No other tube, and I've had some great ones, could reproduce this. With some you could kind of hear it, with others it wasn't there at all. Some of these tubes cost a couple hundred bucks. Even the German tubes, known to be accurate, couldn't do it. As a rule of thumb, the German tubes are very analytic, and the British tubes are very warm sounding. The Amprex (Holland) seems to do both.
They say when God made the earth, he tilted it
and everything that was loose
rolled to California
Blackhof
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:35 pm

Blackhof, since you seem to be our resident tube expert, can I ask; I have a 1971 Ampeg V4 that uses those 7027A's and a bunch of other weird tubes. Are the new 7027's any good or should I only use NOS?

Thanks,
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:33 pm

It's cool how tubes have different characteristics and the location you place them as well as what tubes you put in other locations effect how they sound. I am no tube expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I will say that I won't be buying any newer tubes for ANY tube amp I have if I can help it. I A/B 'd the tubes Blackhof sent against a Ruby, a GT and a Tung Sol I had and there is no comparison. The only 12AX7 that I had in my amp that earns a spot in the same drawer in my music box is an RCA that Don Butler put in there.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Blackhof » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:42 pm

Epi,
I think Ruby and Telsa make new 7027's and I wouldn't own either one. The good news is that a 7027 is the same as the 6L6 family of tubes and that gives you a ton of options for NOS tubes. KT66, 7581A, and 6L6GC to name a few. Check out this link.
http://www.audiotubes.com/6l6.htm
rolled to California
Blackhof
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:44 pm

That is a great website and I highly recommend that everyone who owns a tube amp bookmark that link.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Blackhof » Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Also, if you email or call Brent Jesse and tell him it's for an Ampeg he is great at recommending a particular tube. His tubes always sound exactly as he describes them. He knows tubes like Don Butler knows amps.
rolled to California
Blackhof
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks Blackhoff,

I heard that the ampegs cant use regular 6L6's because of the ridiculously high plate voltages on the ampeg. Since you can't bias the amps, you could fry the tubes very quickly.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Blackhof » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:38 am

Epi,
I found this. http://www.ampegv4.com/7027.php Are you saying that your amp is neither auto bias nor can't be done by hand? Also check this http://www.triodeel.com/7027.htm but I'm not an Ampeg guy. I'll bet Don Butler could tell you in a second. Some tubes can be swapped in one circuit and will damage another. Your case seems to be an ongoing debate. You could also have it modified to use EL-34's and then your problem would be over.
rolled to California
Blackhof
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:39 pm

Thanks Blackhof!!!! That's good stuff
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Blackhof » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:01 pm

Your welcome Epi. After reading those two articles I'd be afraid to try anything in there without a good tech checking things out first. Sounds like one powerful mofo! Might be worth the price of a trip to Don. He could probably upgrade some caps and such, while it was there. I'd bet you'd get back an even better amp.
rolled to California
Blackhof
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:27 pm

I can barely lift the head. The transformer has to weigh 50 pounds.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Blackhof » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:37 pm

I hear ya! When I was a young I got tricked into being a roadie for my friends band. He had an SVT with both cabs. Still my favorite bass amp though.
rolled to California
Blackhof
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:00 am

The story with the Rolling Stones and their Ampegs was that the roadies refused to lug them around anymore. They really are that heavy.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:29 pm

Everytime I get a new amp or go to fool around with my other amps and play with tubes, I'll spend hours comparing tubes to each other. i have a couple hundred old Mullards, Brimar's, Telefunken, Tungsram's, etc. I'm not much for U.S. made tubes. They're good for the most part if you want a Fender to sound like it did when it left the factory, example; my `64 blonde Bassman I bought from Elliot Easton still has the original tubes as they're in excellent condition. I've tried other ones in there, but for some reason the RCA's have the Sixties tone that goes perfect with a Gretsch for say Buffalo Springfield type stuff.
Ampeg: They used an ungodly amount of B+ voltage in their amps to give them more clean output and more dynamics. Finding current production 7027's or 6550's that can handle the plate voltages is near impossible. On an SVT I would get the J/J/'s or opt for NOS(which will last you 10x longer than new ones). The materials used to make tubes in the `50's, `60's, `70's and early `80's was of much higher quality than what's made now. Also the chemicals used to treat the mu-metal has pretty much been banned for use in this country and some of the European countries. Alot of the metal used these days is recycled slag and not pure like it was in the "good old days"..
Don Butler
100 Posts

Return to Toneman