Speaker repair question.

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

Speaker repair question.

Postby GuitArtMan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:13 am

How do I safely remove the torn gasket from my speaker so that I can replace it?

I'm talking about the gasket on the front of the speaker like in this photo (not my speaker, these gaskets apper to be fine). I have a pair of Alnico Blues that the gasket tore on when I removed them from a cabinet. I've got a new cabinet on the way and want to drop them in their when the cabinet arrives
Thanks
Bob
GuitArtMan
100 Posts

Re: Speaker repair question.

Postby Epidrake » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:35 am

How badly is it torn? Do you really have to replace it? If it's just cosmetic, I would leave it alone or try to glue the tear.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby GuitArtMan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:53 am

I need to pull the speakers down and take a look, but I remember the tears as being uneven and moderatley large. It was like when I removed the speakers from the cabinet, the gasket just delaminated and left behind big strips of gasket stuck to the cabinet. The pieces that were left behind are long gone so that can't be reglued.
GuitArtMan
100 Posts

Postby STRMan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:34 pm

Bob, using a nylon paint scrapper, I would carefully remove all of the gasket material. First I would call Weber and see if they could sell you the gasket you might need. Years ago, when Ted was still alive and still doing recones, he completely refurbished a Celestian Alnico for me with stellar results. I suspect his company either has the gasket in stock or would know where to get it from. It is probably identical to the one used on the Weber Blue Dog.

As a last resort I would either get some gasket material and fabricate my own if I had to, but I would not try to use the speaker the way it is as you've described it.

Good luck.
"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia

http://www.paulsavia.com
http://www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
STRMan
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm with STRman. It sounds too far gone. Just be careful taking off the old gasket. I have even replaced the foam surrounds on old home speakers, so it can be done, just don't rush.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby GuitArtMan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:07 pm

Thanks STRman. I already have replacement gaskets. The speakers are fine, I just don't want to screw up when I go to remove the old gasket and then end up needing a complete recone!
GuitArtMan
100 Posts

Postby STRMan » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:51 pm

Just go slowly while scrapping off the old gasket so you don't slip and gouge the edge of the cone. Also, once it's off, if you need to remove the remaining glue that's stuck to the speaker frame, use a rag dabbed in some stuff called Goof Off. You can get it at any Lowes. It works great to dissolve the glue without attacking the paint under it. Have fun!
"Those who trade liberty for security have neither" - Benjamin Franklin

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil." - Jerry Garcia

http://www.paulsavia.com
http://www.soundclick.com/paulsavia
STRMan
250 Posts

Postby GuitArtMan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:30 am

Slow and easy, slow and easy... Better do this before the morning coffee!!! :D Someone over at TGP suggested calling Orange County Speaker repair. I did, and they suggested a chissel or a razor blade! :shock: I feel a little more confident going at it with the nylon paint scrapper. Slow and easy, slow and easy, breathe...
GuitArtMan
100 Posts

Postby GuitArtMan » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:40 pm

Well as I tried to remove the torn gasket, the speaker cone started to separate from the frame. :cry: I'm afraid to look at the second speaker.
GuitArtMan
100 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:35 am

Do the gaskets perform any specific function other than cushioning the frame from the screws/bolts?
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby GuitArtMan » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:37 pm

bassbob wrote:Do the gaskets perform any specific function other than cushioning the frame from the screws/bolts?

I would assume that is their primary function, but I would also assume they form some sort of seal as well. If you had a sealed cabinet and rear mounted speakers, you'd want that gasket to form a seal I would think.

Anyway, I sent the speakers off to A Brown Soun (makers of Tone Tubbies). They estimated $35 to replace the gaskets and since the cone didn't tear and just lifted from the frame, they feel they shouold be able to reglue it.
GuitArtMan
100 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:46 pm

Well the important thing is that you get your speakers back in working condition. It may cost a few bucks, but your speakers will be right and that's all that matters. :)
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:25 pm

Well as I tried to remove the torn gasket, the speaker cone started to separate from the frame. I'm afraid to look at the second speaker.

That's what I was afraid of. You made the right decision to send it to A Broun Soun, those guys know speakers. Let us know how it turns out.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Return to Toneman