Strat PUP

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

Strat PUP

Postby Winston » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:46 pm

Hi Don

I have a Strat that has Vintage Noiseless pickups. My son changed the scratch plate when he borrowed it and when I got it back, the neck PUP didn't work. He's pretty good with fixing things, (he's a helicopter mechanic) so I asked him to take a look at it. The opened it up and found a disconnected wire and resoldrered it. It works and he left.

I picked it up today and the pickup doesn't work.

I was going to take it apart and see if I could figure something out but then I found this. I plugged it into an amp and put the switch into the neck position and it doesn't work. I accidentally touched the pickup with a screwdriver and got static sound. I switch it to the bridge PUP and I don't get the sound when I touch the neck PUP with the screwdriver. There is something getting through to the amp but it's not picking up the sound of the strings. I can feel the magnetic pull when I touch the screwdriver to each of the pole pieces.

Anyone have any idea what's going on here?

Thanks,

Jim
Winston
250 Posts

Re: Strat PUP

Postby Epidrake » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:12 pm

Just because it's still magnetic doesn't mean anything. Sounds like a broken wire in the pickup to me.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Winston » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:07 pm

Epidrake wrote:Just because it's still magnetic doesn't mean anything. Sounds like a broken wire in the pickup to me.

And sound would still reach the amp if there is a broken wire in the pickup?
Winston
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:52 pm

Sound or music? If the wire is broken you could still get a clicking sound when you touch the pickup with something metal. Pickup wires are so thin. They do break easily.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby jpw43 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:00 pm

It could be a cold solder joint. Something like that.
Maybe you could have your son look at it again.
What was wrong with the scratch plate before?
jpw43
250 Posts

Postby Winston » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:32 am

Epidrake wrote:Sound or music? If the wire is broken you could still get a clicking sound when you touch the pickup with something metal. Pickup wires are so thin. They do break easily.

When the guitar is plugged into an amp and the 5 way switch is in the neck position, if I touch a pickup pole with a screwdriver, I get a static sound from the amp. If I set the switch with the neck PUP off and I touch it I get no sound.

I guess what I'm trying to understand is that if there is a broken wire how does any sound at all get to the amp. It would seem like there is no connection from that PUP to the amp.

I
t could be a cold solder joint. Something like that.
Maybe you could have your son look at it again.
What was wrong with the scratch plate before?

the old scratchplate was plain white and he replaced it with a pearl one. It does look better.
Winston
250 Posts

Postby jpw43 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:05 pm

Ditto on the pearl.
As far as why the sound is getting to the speaker it sounds like you're still not getting the music to the speaker, just some noise.
You'll save much hair pulling by going inside and checking all the connections.
If it was getting the notes through to the amp for a while, then suddenly not, something came undone in there.
I have a process I go through troubleshooting. It's usually the last thing I did that caused the problem.
jpw43
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:41 pm

I built a pickup with my son years ago for a science project. If the tiny wire broke anywhere along the way when we were winding it, it wouldn't work. We would just get static. I'm with jpw, retrace your steps.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Return to Toneman