Naphtha

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

Naphtha

Postby Winston » Thu May 13, 2010 11:05 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy naphtha. I know that it's Zippo Lighter Fluid, but does anyone sell that anymore? I mean who uses refillable lighters?
Winston
250 Posts

Re: Naphtha

Postby Epidrake » Thu May 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Ronson lighter fluid is available everywhere they sell Zippos and cigars. I buy the giant size. You can also buy Naptha at your local paint store next to the turpentine. It's in those big tins.

LOTS of people still use Zippos and collect them. They even have their own free iPhone App.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Fri May 14, 2010 5:47 am

I found naptha at Lowes last weekend. Don't use lighter fluid. It has naptha in it, but it has other crap in it too.
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Fri May 14, 2010 10:48 am

Good advice. I don't mind lighter fluid for most things cause it shines up nicely. But for straight cleaning and zero residue, go to your local paint store.
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sat May 15, 2010 8:43 am

When I needed naptha a while back, I couldn't find at Lowes or Home Depot. I had to get it from a paint store. Now I notice it is on the shelves at both Lowes and Home Depot. Still can't find it at Wal-Mart though.

When I worked at a finishing shop we used to bath in the crap. We got it in 55 gallon drums. It is a carcinogen and I highly recommend not getting it on your skin. That is a disclaimer, because I still use it to clean up with if it's around. :lol:
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Sat May 15, 2010 10:21 am

It is a carcinogen
Like everything else.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sun May 16, 2010 6:49 am

Epidrake wrote:
It is a carcinogen
Like everything else.

Tell me about it. I personally think Naptha is safer than thinner or mineral spirits. It's perfect for cleaning fret boards, getting ridiculous black dye off your BROWN deluxe, etc....
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Winston » Wed May 19, 2010 3:44 pm

I found some at my local hardware store.
Now from what I'm reading here in this thread, this stuff if fine for your fretboards?

Has anyone heard from Don Butler by the way. I sent him a PM about a string issue that I'm having and he hasn't answered. I use on Pyramid strings and promote them to everyone that I come into contact with. One of the reasons is that they seem to last forever and Don is usually very responsive and always provides great service.
I'm going to have to buy some DRs or TIs if I don't hear from him soon.
Winston
250 Posts

Postby Winston » Wed May 19, 2010 3:47 pm

Does anyone know anything about GHS Fast Fret? It's the stuff that comes on an applicator with a wipedown cloth. I was wondering if there naphtha in that. Also does anyone have any idea how long that stuff lasts? I've got a container that's several years old and I was thinking about dipping it in the naphtha and rubbing it on my strings.
Winston
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Wed May 19, 2010 4:28 pm

I use Fast Fret after every time I play. Cleans the strings and the fretboard. No silicone. I've been using it for years. Makes your strings last a hell of a lot longer.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Winston » Wed May 19, 2010 4:48 pm

bassbob wrote:I use Fast Fret after every time I play. Cleans the strings and the fretboard. No silicone. I've been using it for years. Makes your strings last a hell of a lot longer.

Thanks Bob. Do you know what's in it or how long it is supposed to last>
Winston
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Wed May 19, 2010 6:23 pm

Till it doesn't coat the strings anymore. Parker guitars says that Fast Frets voids their warranty. The frets are glued on Parkers. I guess that's why.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Wed May 19, 2010 9:00 pm

While I have never owned ( or even played) a Parker, I have used it on every other guitar imaginable. Paul W. from Ric likes it. Fact is, I've never heard one single negative thing about it.

The sticks wear down, until they're gone. They cost like 5 bucks. I have probably 3 or 4 sticks of it in this house as we speak. If you put it back in the little tube it lasts forever, or at least I've never seen it dry up. One thing I can tell you with utmost certainty, it makes your strings last a lot longer and it helps keep your fretboard clean. After every time you play, rub up and down the length of the fretboard ( one pass per string), wipe off the excess and you're done. Takes 20 seconds.

You want to avoid stuff with silicone in it, such as Fret-eaze.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Winston » Fri May 21, 2010 9:52 pm

It almost doesn't seem as though there is anything at all in the Fact Fret. I have three little containers of it. Some are older than others and they all seem like there's nothing in the little sticks.
Does anyone know what the substance is in them. (if there's anything at all)
Winston
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sat May 22, 2010 8:16 am

Seems to me like some sort of light wax Winston. There is definitely something in it.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Sat May 22, 2010 11:40 am

I always thought it had some sort of oil like Dr Ducks Axe wax. In fact I "refilled" my Fast Fret with a few drops of Dr. Ducks, when it seemed to be getting dry and it worked exactly the same.
Epidrake
250 Posts

Return to Toneman