My `54 Reissue

http://www.tone-man.com

Moderator: Don Butler

My `54 Reissue

Postby Don Butler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:20 pm

Thought you all would enjoy seeing this. It started out as a `07 R-4 Goldtop (Historic). It was an exceptionally great sounding guitar. I sent it to Dave Johnson/Kim LaFleur @ Historic Makeovers some months ago. what Dave does is remove the fingerboard, install a vintage correct Trussrod( new ones are a cheap rod with a plastic sheath over them and kill some of the necks' resonance). He then installs a Brazilian Rosewood Fingerboard and uses Celloloid inlays made by the same company in Italy that made them for Gibson in the `50's & `60's.. He uses hot Hide Glue to glue the new board on. I sent him a piece of NOS Nylon 4/6 nut blank like Gibson use to use(actually the piece was old stock found at the original Gibson factory in Kalamazoo). He refinishes the guitar with nitrocellulose formulated to the original PPG formula that Gibson used. Dave sent me a photo of the top after he'd stripped it. I said no way are we covering that up.. I told him to make it look like an old Fifties Goldtop that someone stripped and refinned the top on back in the late Sixties. I think he got it right..
Don Butler
100 Posts

Re: My `54 Reissue

Postby Epidrake » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:40 pm

Incredible job. Does it sound different with the new truss rod? Also, how is the intonation with the wrap around tail piece?
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Haven't heard it yet. It'll be here in the morning. The intonation was pretty much right on the money before. The rod lets the neck resonate more. Gibson started putting a plastic sheath on them in the late `60's to keep the glue from sticking to the trussrod. The two other guitars that Dave has done of mine sound so much better without the shitty rod and plastic sheath that Gibson uses. It's part of what makes an old Les Paul sound the way they do.
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby patlaw » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:13 pm

How does he get the finish checking (is that what it's called?) in the bottom picture. My 1969 Gibson Barney Kessel is doing that, but not to that level.
The problem with the election was, Romney said, "I'll put the country back to work!", but 51% of the voters said, "Hell no!"
patlaw
Admininstrator

Postby Don Butler » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:44 pm

I'm pretty sure he uses liquid nitrogen to achieve real cold checking. He doesn't do like Tim Murphy does. Tom uses a razor, sandpaper and a polish
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:07 pm

patlaw wrote:How does he get the finish checking (is that what it's called?) in the bottom picture. My 1969 Gibson Barney Kessel is doing that, but not to that level.

That's cool you have a Barney Kessel! I have a `63 Barney Kessel-Regular. It has some slight checking. what I told Dave was to make it look like an old Goldtop that somebody stripped and refinished the top back in the Sixties. I think he's achieved that!!
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby Paladin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Nice one Don! Image
Propaganda is a soft weapon; hold it in your hands too long, and it will move about like a snake, and strike the other way.
Paladin
250 Posts

Postby Don Butler » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:23 pm

I've got to get it outside to take some better photos... sorry these new ones sorta suck.
Don Butler
100 Posts

Postby Greggman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:59 pm

just got home from seeing Image... playing...& droolling on it. sounds unreal @ high and low volumes.
perfectly balanced tones chimey ,growly ...a screamer .
"a wet dream" as you say!
pics REALLY dont do it justice. the color is butterscotch/mineral/natural....I dunno..

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

a true masterpiece...it is trully stunning in person.

congrats to ya DB!
"If you dont know where you're going, anyroad will take you there"
Greggman
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:59 am

Looks great!
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby Epidrake » Sat Jun 27, 2009 10:20 am

Damn, I've got a really bad case of GAS again. What a beauty!
“Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you will also be like him. Answer a fool as his folly deserves, that he not be wise in his own eyes. (Prov. 26:4–5).
Epidrake
250 Posts

Return to Toneman