SELLING: 1961 > Gibson GA-40 Les Paul Amp Tweed

Flea market for vintage gear and newer

SELLING: 1961 > Gibson GA-40 Les Paul Amp Tweed

Postby Greggman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:33 am

1960(1) Gibson GA-40 Les Paul amplifier with 1 JBL 12" speaker in a single (tweed) enclosure. Sounds amazing.
This combo amp has all-tube ^^^ circuitry, all-tweed covering, 2 channels, 4 inputs, 40 Watts well, 38 anyway & one 'slight' cigarette burn. Tremelo with frequency and depth controls, classic chicken-head knobs. Voicing knob serves as tone control. Similar to a tweed Fender of the same era, this amp puts out a variety of tone depending on the volume setting, which goes to 10. At only 2.5 does it begin to clip giving a sweet old blues tone reminiscent of B.B. King. At 2 or less, it retains a full warm, soulful tone great for comping jazz and blues or R&B. At 3 it immediately begins to saturate the signal, providing sustain and violin-like tonality.
When driven further, it gets a nasty funkiness with an attitude like that of an old Buddy Guy recording. Pushing further only supplies added volume and returning to 3 settles you back into a nice tube amp distortion that responds to every touch.

The tremelo is unlike a Fender, more Leslie-like and less-vibrato-ish. More movement is present in the design and organ licks and sustained notes move all around you. This amp responds like crazy to semi-hollow bodies as well as A Tele, Strat or Paul. These amps put out a great smell as the tubes glow orangey-blue and the volume is pushed. This one is exact model like George Harrison used with the early Beatles but older now and completely stage ready . Why not have the real deal for the price?

Tone: fat clean low-volume sounds yet yearning to be pushed to clip and beyond to singing distortion, a tweed monster of tone.

Appearance:
off-yellow tweed with dark brown grille cloth, a tilting handle with Gibson logo encased in plastic! Silver control panel on top/back with 5 chicken-head knobs.

Footswitch :for tremelo activation works properly

Needs/wants: more power for louder clean settings.

History: Oft used by the blues and R&B legends of the 50's and 60's, these amps delivered the knock-out punch and the clean and clip often needed by the early Beatles.

Desirability: highly desirable amp for tone quality and quick saturation like it's fellow competitor, the Fender tweeds and tolexes, etc.

Trivia Question: Was the GA 40 George Harrisons first or second amp ?
Will I miss this? yes Find another one? No
$1500 ($2k Street price)
Pics available..no trades (try me) & thanks for looking.
Recently serviced by Tone-man, Don Butler.

For $200 Ill add a Reslo microphone and cabling. Perfect working order. Buy this before I change my mind, again.
FYI:
These "ribbons" sound fantastic through the GA40 as will Harmonica/325s/ & Jets
I should call the RETURN on the phone. If you know them please let them know. Thanks..
"If you dont know where you're going, anyroad will take you there"
Greggman
250 Posts

Re: SELLING: 1961 > Gibson GA-40 Les Paul Amp Tweed

Postby 1after909 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:23 pm

anyone know the winning Illinois Lottery numbers they can send me
Terry M. Johnson 11/28/1949 - 01/21/1968 Hill 881 Viet Nam
1after909
250 Posts

Postby bassbob » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:29 pm

I'm saying. Greg always posts this great shit that everybody wants, but no one can afford. Dude has owned more cool gear than all of us put together.

Brother, I absolutely love it. It took me a week and a half to come up with the extra scratch for a $60 speaker I blew in one of my bass cabs, and I use that thing for 12-18 hours a week.
Due to a shortage of coal, Santa will be giving all the naughty boys and girls Nickleback CDs.
bassbob
250 Posts

Postby 1after909 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:09 pm

there are alot of people who can't afford this shit nowadays, other expenses, vintage stuff has really gone down and people are still not buying, gotta be more careful with what your buying in todays market.
Terry M. Johnson 11/28/1949 - 01/21/1968 Hill 881 Viet Nam
1after909
250 Posts

Postby Greggman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:26 am

on hold.pending sale :)
"If you dont know where you're going, anyroad will take you there"
Greggman
250 Posts

Return to Yesterday